Monday, March 19, 2007

A queer observation

I have noticed that when i am very upset and try to pen down my thoughts, they just seem to pour down and i just go on writing. All the gloomy words in the dictionary find their way in and it makes perfect sense to 'me'[The word in quotes to be read as upper case, large font and bold and preceded by 'Only']. So much so that it seems to me as a masterpiece of some eternal philosophical writing [herez where i snigger], which, i am proud of having attempted. There is also this faint glitter of boastful hope in me which pretends that i will cherish this so called creative attempt for the rest of my life [Herez where my eyes well up with tears, tears of joy at having finally found the creative streak in me]. Well, if not for so long then mayb atleast for a long time to come. But the moment i am out of the gloom and try reading my thoughts again, i am lost [This is where i have the bewildered look of a puppy which suddenly finds itself lost and out of its territory]. There is nothing i can relate to. I tend to dig into it to analyse what that so called masterpiece was all about? [This is where i look worried and scratch my head hoping to find an answer] whatever i was going through, was it really that bad or was it just my imagination playing me a fool? [This is where i strain myself to remember what it was..yes i think it was this..or maybe that..oh bugger, i lost the thought again. That was so very close !!] Everything was supposed to make sense, but then how come it sounds so much like the melodramatic version of some heartwrenching play? [herez where i sneer and think, a play eh? Wait till you go through this again] But then come again gloom and it all fits in perfectly. [See, i told ya, my creative streak pops its head again] I try relating to it once again with the same intensity. I find this all, a bit too funny at times...[He he he]

5 comments:

Ketan said...

Wondering, if this is your creative streak, what would your creative "whole" be like! You have all the right to be boastful, proud and arrogant about your blog (your creativity); they're that good. TC.

Just Me said...

All the right, but none of the traits would reflect the true me. I prefer to stick to modesty, anyday :)

Ketan said...

Had I known you personally, I'd have forgiven you for being boastful on account of the quality of your work. Not that of course I recommend being boastful. Of course you might appreciate that being proud of one's traits doesn't entail rudeness.

Just Me said...

Yes, i do agree that being proud of one's traits doesn't entail rudeness. But there is also a very thin line for pride to crossover into rudeness! Nevertheless, i do agree to your point to some extent.

Ketan said...

One of the problems with languages is everyone uses various words differently; they've a subconscious definition of each word, but very few venture out to excavate those definitions. Our discussion here prompted me to think of my definition of pride, because I personally never felt pride could be cause of rudeness. I'd define it as "being aware of one's ability and being happy for that". Rudeness (insecurity/envy) arises (at least when as a consequence of awareness of one's ability), when one wants to "feel good" about one's ability by comparing it with someone else's ability. It may also arise out of contempt. And that contempt arises when one thinks of possession of a particular ability as IMPORTANT. For instance, if I have the ability to be honest, I might actually develop contempt for someone trying to put up an image. But, let's say if I play a particular computer game really well, I won't have any pride about that. I'll just think of it as another miscellaneous ability.
But personally, even if I develop contempt for a person it won't manifest as rudeness. I find rudeness purposeless; it distracts people from the real issue at hand.

But more often than not I've seen incapable persons to be unreasonably rude as against those with ability. So, maybe my hypothesis goes out the window! Sometimes, some people just have a bad temper or can't empathize with others and they don't realize they were rude.

Arrogance arises with rather wishful presumption of possession of ability.

We (of course, I--but wise elders have said it's good to share, so why not share blame, too!) have digressed a lot from the original post, but I'm really happy to have charted out my definitions of pride and arrogance in the process. Hope you didn't mind the digression. Also, I'd point out that I've been EXTREMELY frank in what I stated here, so there's all the more chance of my being seen as devil's advocate (with that devil being me!).

TC.