Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A chilling encounter

It is a chilly day. The kinds when you want to head for the smallest patch of sunshine to gather as much warmth as you can. The wind blows intermittently with avid gusto sending shivers down my spine. I try to walk fast, at the same time trying to avoid the gush of the wind which seems to enter from the tiniest of the openings of my overcoat. There arent many people on the road. It isnt the pleasantest of days for anybody to be out. I long to get home, to the warmth of the heater. But home is still a long way to go. The stretch of road seems unending. And through the corner of my eye, i see him. He is walking on the other side of the road. He has some shade of orange on him which i catch a glimpse of. I cant say or be sure what it is. But i am not interested in that. I see him match his pace with mine. Occasionally when i glance to the side he is walking on, i can see his eyes fixed on me. I try to walk faster. And so does he. An unknown fear grips me, i panic and start to look for an easy exit on to the highway. But where do i go, all the roads are the same. And he seems to be watching my every step.I need to cross over to the side where he is walking and then i need to turn left where the road bends. But this mere act is now filling me with dread. But i have to do it. I cross over. He waits till i cross over and then resumes walking behind me. I am panic stricken now, for i can feel him closing in on me. And then....he stops right ahead, facing me and says.."Would you care for a flower, miss? Its two a Pound." And then he smiles and hands me two bright orange, fresh flowers. And i see what that something orange was, which had caught my eye.. I grab the flowers from him, fumble for a pound in my overcoat, hand it over to him smilingly and walk away....

1 comment:

Ketan said...

To be accosted by a flower-wallah, it seems, it'a prerequisite to dread him. You're on the right path. TC.